Small businesses have many resource limitations, so they must always be on the lookout for innovative tools and strategies to connect with their target audience and, most importantly, drive sales.
While widening your reach is arguably important in the grand scheme of business strategy, why not create your own loyal fan club close to home?
If you own a brick-and-mortar establishment that generates a sense of community such as a restaurant, bar, or entertainment venue, your business can significantly benefit from hyperlocal social media marketing. While this is by no means a new idea, the success of implementing a hyperlocal campaign in 2023 cannot be ignored.
With the era of hyperlocal social media marketing in full swing, small business owners find themselves in a great position – they can now use social media even more powerfully, to leverage the power of geography-based targeting and connect with potential customers within a specific area. In this blog post, we’ll explain 5 strategies to properly implement hyperlocal social media marketing into your business’s overall social strategy for guaranteed success.
1. Understand Your Target Audience:
The most important first step in successful hyperlocal social media marketing is understanding your local audience.
If you’re not already an expert on your customer’s location, it’s time to do your research.
- Where are the other places your target audience loves to be?
- Who do they look up to in the community?
- What other activities do they try to take part in?
- What matters to them and what are they passionate about?
Conducting market research through social media engagement can be very effective. Utilize the W questions: Who, what, when, where, and why to gather valuable insights about your customers will help create more targeted and effective marketing strategies.
2. Geo-targeting with Relevant Content:
Two foundational concepts of hyperlocal marketing are personalization and pride. It’s no surprise to anyone who comes from a small but mighty community that hometown pride is a passion that helps drive decision-making, especially at point-of-purchase. It’s the reason people support small businesses by buying a product from their local store, as opposed to ordering from Amazon, despite extra time and effort.
In practice, this means delivering content that is relevant to the local audience, even if it isn’t totally relevant to your goods or services.
- Use imagery, messaging, and promotional offers that speak directly to residents of a specific city, neighborhood, or even street.
- Choose relevant hashtags that are currently trending in the area and don’t forget to place Instagram Geolocations in posts!
- Look for options available on some platforms for paid advertisement localization features. A little bit of budget for a Facebook ad can go a long way when it comes to generating hyperlocal brand awareness.
3. Stay Interactive with Your Business’s Social Media Accounts
Hyperlocal social media marketing requires a well-maintained social media presence, meaning consistent updates and engagement.
- Respond to customer comments
- Showcase your work
- Share local community events or news to build engagement and user interaction.
This boosts your business’s visibility within the local audience. Many local small business owners may not have the time, bandwidth, or technical expertise to manage these functions, which is why hiring a hyperlocal social media marketing company is more important than ever as advertising efforts continue to become more and more niche.
4. Leverage and Develop Relationships with Locals
The use of authentic, quality user-generated content is absolutely crucial when connecting with younger target audiences that are active on social media. After determining your audience’s profile, consider doing the following:
- Develop relationships with local influencers and volunteers
- Gather referral partners from local businesses
- Form partnerships and attend local events
These activities will strengthen authenticity allowing you to leverage credible sources to attract new customers.
Above all, these demographics value authenticity, and will even change their buying habits to actively avoid companies whom they do not trust.
When sourcing local influencers, be sure that they have established themselves as a thought leader in the area or for the product or service you sell – and be sure they infuse some of their local charm and passion for your town.
5. Test and Improve Your Campaigns
Like all other marketing forms, a critical component of hyperlocal social media marketing success is continual improvement and testing. To thoroughly vet your hyperlocal strategy,
- Track metrics
- Analyze results
- Make data-driven decisions to improve these campaigns.
Building a small brand, especially on organic social, takes a lot of time. Algorithms, trends, and even small towns can undergo big changes in short periods of time. For that reason, the never-ending process of social media management will always need insight and updates to make the most of hyperlocal campaigns.
Time to Kick Off Your Hyperlocal Social Media Campaign!
Hyperlocal social media marketing is a highly valuable strategy for small businesses to efficiently engage with their target audience. Personalized and locally relevant social media content helps small businesses achieve a high level of engagement with their local audience, build relationships, and drive sales. Successfully implementing these five strategies will lay a foundation for small businesses to establish long-term relationships with their current local customers while acquiring new ones.
If you still feel like an outsider to your local business’s audience, a hyperlocal social media marketing campaign led by River Avenue Digital can help your brand stand out! Contact us today to get started building your community.